Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Introduction

So this is a blog about board games.  At least, that's what it is mainly supposed to be about.  But pandas have a way of sneaking into things.  They are pretty stealthy. I mean, in a forest made out of newspaper crossword puzzles they would be basically invisible.

I got really into board games a little over a year ago when a couple of friends introduced me to Agricola (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola).  It's basically "Farming: The Board Game."  So obviously it is awesome.
No, for reals, it is.
Anyway, many many hours of gaming (and many dollars spent) later, I'm still obsessed with the hobby, and this my attempt to share some of that obsession.

So about the title of this blog...

The "Meeple" Portion:

This is a meeple
Meeple!!
It's a little wooden dude used in a lot of board games.
For the formal definition (from Wiktionary, of course), see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/meeple.
But my definition is just as good.

So the "meeple" portion of this blog's title refers to board games.  Because this is a blog about board games.  More specifically, my small gaming group and the games we play.  Nothing fancy, just fun.

Oh and then there's...

The "Panda" Portion:

A panda eats around 20 to 40 pounds of bamboo a day, in many small portions.

Oh, but for the blog title, the "panda" means I like pandas and they will probably pop up in some form or another here.  Pandas are also big and cute and fuzzy and awesome and ferocious and they do Kung-Fu.  So basically, they encompass everything, which by having "panda' in the title gives me the right to write about anything I want.  I call this legal statement the "Panda Claws."  And I will invoke it.

Combining the "meeple" and "panda" gives "The Panda Meeple," which is not just a blog, but also a legendary creature.
The Legendary Panda Meeple!
I drew him in Microsoft Paint.  Because Photoshop and other fancy things are for people who think that "smooth" lines and "pretty" pictures are where it's at.  But I know better.

Hopefully putting both "panda" and "meeple" together will cover most google searches, so tons of people can find and read this.  Because other than cat videos, what else do people use the internet for?

If only there were a board game with a panda theme...later...perhaps soon. 

So in summary, this blog is about:
1. Board Games
2. Pandas
3. Other stuff (see above, "Panda Claws")
4. Nonsense

I don't know how often this blog will get updated.  Sometimes I may get busy (crime doesn't fight itself, ya know) or not feel motivated (why put in the effort of thinking of clever things to say when there are reruns of Pokemon to watch).  But I hope you enjoy the ride, whatever it may be.




1 comment: