Thursday, October 2, 2014

GenCon Special: Travel and Day 1

GenCon.  A general gaming convention.  Lots of games.  "The Best 4 Days in Gaming" they say.  It's been over a month since we went.  The high has died down.  Here's what I remember from that 4 day blur of games and jolly good times:

Our original plan was that we were going to drive out to Indianapolis for this smorgasbord of fun on Thursday, get there Thursday night, do a small bit of fun stuff, then go on a boardgame/event rampage on Friday and Saturday with a cooldown period on Sunday before the drive home.

But we got antsy.

We booked a one night stay at a cheap hotel on the edge of Indy, then drove up Wednesday afternoon. The goal: get there early so our rampage could include ALL off Thursday. We wanted all the time we could get.

So we drove up Wednesday afternoon. All spontaneously-like.  I felt like such a rebel.

Booking a really cheap hotel turned out as you might expect.  We stayed at a super sketch Super 8.

Dramatic re-enactment of our hotel stay. And that's the guy that fixed the broken bathroom light, obviously.

Didn't even go into the bathroom.  And the bed was hard and the pillows were flat and the air was itchy.

So itchy.

But who cares.  We were at Gen Con!  Almost, at least.  We played a few games that night.  We played Fleet, a short little card game about getting fishing licenses, and Innovation, another card game where you build a civilization with a huge variety of abilities.  We also played CO2, a great game about building clean power plants and combating carbon emissions (more fun than it sounds, trust me).

We then retired for the evening.  Hard to sleep, though.  Too excited.  And I think the boogieman was under my bed.

Day 1:

After a sleepless night on a slab of concrete and pillows made of what I can only assume was pudding, we made our way to the Con!!!!

This is my badge.  My 4-day badge.  My ticket to the best 4 days in gaming. My badge of honor as a board game connoisseur.   My admission to a geeky, crowded heaven.

Yes, that is totally my real name.  I didn't edit this photo or anything.

We had the whole morning before we had any scheduled events.  So we wandered around for a bit.  Checked out the scene.

Saw some cool miniatures stuff.  I'm always impressed with these things, even though I don't play myself.



Then...the dealer hall.  A giant exhibition hall filled with board game dealers selling  their newest games,  clothing dealers selling costumes and nerdy t-shirts with pikachus and other beloved characters, and artist alley filled with beautiful fantasy art.

I bought this.  I can't resist a Totoro.  Totoro so adorable.

Art by Rebekah Crowmer.  So awesome.

Jake also bought Panamax, a brand new Gen Con release.  Meaning we got to basically play the game before the rest of the public!

We later went to a couple of demo rooms where we played Harbour, a very mediocre harbor themed worker placement card game (honestly, it was pretty lame), and Concordia, a fantastic Roman Empire themed game where you develop a trade network and please the gods or something like that.  Best game we tested at the Con, in my opinion.

Later in the evening we played a rip roaring game of MAMMOTH SETTLERS OF CATAN!  It's Settlers of Catan, but giant.  Giant board, giant wooden pieces, giant foam dice.
I hate Settlers of Catan.  I really do.  But this was worth it cuz it was GIANT!  Ahh, good times.
The game is giant, but I am still giant-er.  I feel like a kaiju.

I'm orange.  I'm losing.  Both very typical of me.

Cute guy, playing his giant board games.

We played some more games.  Like Imperial Settlers, another Gen Con release.  It has pink meeples.
Imperial Settlers.  Brand new game release.  One of first to play it.  Aren't we special?
There was some more wandering around, then we went to bed.  Solid day.  Had to get geared up for an epic Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment