Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Moving and Exploring

Hey all!

I moved!  For work.  It's been stressful, but I'm finally settling in to my new apartment in the middle of nowhere Connecticut.

That means exploring!

But first things first, gotta get my apartment in order.

Got the game shelf set up!
    
Game shelf.  Pika and Charmander on the side.

And I set up a space for my gaming PC.  Made a desk out of some sheets of MDF and two IKEA dressers.  It's nice and big!
Computer station

Then Totoro had to get settled in:

And Panda squishable found a happy home in the big closet:


Well, that was pretty much everything important.  I also built a bunch of IKEA furniture.  It's surprisingly nice.  The couch is quite comfy.  It passes the afternoon nap test.

With most things set up, I set out to explore the area!

Games stores!

The first store I visited was called the Citadel Game Cellar.  It is literally in a basement.  It looks like an unfinished basement, has dim lighting, smells a little musty. 

But there are shelves and shelves of board games (and miniatures and RPG books too).  Lots of the modern games as well as some oldies that are out of print. 

If I'm looking for a place to search out a treasure of an out of print game, this would probably be the place.  The environment isn't really for me, but I'll check out what kind of gaming events they have and will probably be back for on of those.  They just got a new owner, let's see what happens with this place.

(I didn't take any pictures.  It was really dark)

The next store I visited was the Toy Vault at the nearby mall.  T

The Toy Vault is mostly a small comic shop.

They also had some action figures!
Really brawny plastic men.
No board games though.  I checked it out as a potential place to play Friday Night Magic.  It's small.  We'll see how it is.

The store I'm most excited about is Ice Imports.  Also in the mall, this place is a weird mix of fantasy weapons and Magic the Gathering.  No board games here either.

But the store is very clean and quite nice.  It is split down the middle.
On the left of the entrance is the fantasy weapon and trinket side.  It has a dark light kind of ambiance, lots of blue feelings.

I saw swords!

I saw knives!

I saw rocks!

The other side of the store is for Magic the Gathering, with tables set and a separate counter for buying and selling cards.  There's even a big screen TV that streams MTG players and tournaments and the like.

They have a solid calendar of events.


And a a convenient buylist.

Overall, this place seems like a great, clean, bright place to play.  I'm going to try this one out for FNM first!

And Zelda!

Finally, I found a legit pizza place, called The Rolling Tomato.  Brick ovens, bubbly cheese, really good.  I will be back there.


No comments:

Post a Comment