Sunday, September 20, 2015

Magic: The Obsession of the Gathering

Magic the Gathering is really the epitome of collectible card games.  In the past, I've bought intro packs just to play for fun with my brother or friends, but have never taken the game seriously.  The result is that I've accumulated a fair amount of crappy cards over the years that get very little use.

Last week, some friends invited me over to play some Magic.  I quickly threw together a pretty disjointed Red/Black deck just to have something to play with.  There were 4 of us playing at once.  It was pretty wild.



But hey, I won a game!  It was way too much fun.  We also were drinking.  That helped too.



The real problem here is now I'm hooked and want better cards.  I already have a boardgame problem.  I don't need another hobby to eat my money.  Though I guess Magic counts into my boardgame hobby, so it's really the same thing.  But even more expensive.

In this past week, I've spent over $200 on singles to help me make a couple new decks.  I know maybe this isn't a lot of money at all for cards, but it's like 4 boardgames for me.  That's pretty significant.

Luckily, my CoolStuffInc discount on card singles is up to 6% so I saved like 5 bucks!

Anyway, this is a super addicting hobby.  I've been spending a lot of time looking at cards and deck ideas online (and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of what I'm doing!), which is a great way to spend that downtime at work when you're done eating but still "at lunch."

I may keep you updated on my Magic shenanigans as I begin this fun and addictive journey.


1 comment: